After more than a decade since my son was diagnosed T1 I am so sick of reading about how we almost have a cure, or that T1D has been cured in mice. The recent proclamation of how a woman has been insulin free as a result of a Biohub envelope loaded with beta cells derived from stem cells that was implanted in her omentum (instead of the liver) is just another example. What most articles failed to mention is the patient’s never ending reliance on immuno-suppressant drugs – which are far worse than the diabetes. Islet transplants with IM drugs is nothing new and this news is just another false hope.
I’m tired of having my hopes dashed and heart broken time and time again by the medical community. When can we see decent responsible reporting on T1D research, without the continued hype of “cures’ that are no such thing? Can we get doctors to stop making false promises? I swear I’m going to punch in the nose the next endocrinologist who smiles and assures me that we will have a cure in three years. I feel like we are getting played by a medical industry that wants to commercialize this disease instead of cure it.
Social Plugin