My doctor (who is a diabetes care specialist along with being a GP, which is why I was glad I was assigned her by Kaiser) was happy with how things were going at my two months after diagnosis (in the hospital) point, so said we should just go for two months instead of monthly.
When I was in the hospital, on Feb 12, I had an a1c of 13.5.
On March 7, it was 11.2.
April 6, 8.5.
Well, I went yesterday, we talked about stuff, and they did the blood test. In addition to my cholesterol going from 251 in March to 135 yesterday, my a1c was...
5.9. Five point nine. I almost fell over. I was so shocked and surprised and pleased.
I've been working on this, had some issues and some problems, some high and lows - not just blood glucose but emotional - but I'm doing the right things. This is what I was hoping for. Even if at one point I got really pissed off at the meter millstone around my nick and smashed it, I got a new - nicer - meter than the one the hospital gave me (and overcharged me ridiculously for - really, a Bayer Contour Next EZ wouldn't cost $140 at Walgreens, and my new Contour Next One (uses same strips) was $22) and tracking is easier now.
I need to get out and exercise more, but so far... yeah. I'm working it.
Don't lose faith in yourself. It sucks. It's hard work. But it's something that can be worked on.
Social Plugin