Husband newly diagnosed Type 2 - no restrictions or testing ?

My husband went in to the doctor in April because he had to keep using the bathroom a lot .. after the blood work came back they said he had Type 2 diabetes- he is 52 - and called in Metformin to be taken 2 times a day with meals . He saw the doctor one more time a few days later and they told him he would have to meet with a dietician. At first he cut out soda ( he lived on it ) but now he doesn't seem to be watching what he eats or drinks . I told him the ice tea he drinks still has sugar in it .. he said "no way" and then looked - "oh- 40 grams". .. Now he seems to be using the bathroom a lot again.. is this because he isn't following any kind of diet and thinks the Metformin does all the work ? I can't seem to get him to understand how this works so hopefully once he finally meets with the dietitian it will help. He doesn't check his blood at all either .. I am at a loss.. as far as I know he has had no side effects from the medicine . We both work a lot so I don't see him a lot but if he didn't feel good from the medicine he would say something.. but again .. the bathroom issue has become very frequent again .. every hour to two hours I think depending on his sugar intake - I think .. right ? Not sure how this works but hope he finds out soon. 😕