My girlfriend (23) has diabetes and has never been drunk. Is there anything she needs to know about diabetes/alcohol as she starts drinking?

Some background, if you're curious:

My girlfriend is 23, and comes from a very sheltered situation. Home-schooled, strict Catholic family, etc. It's only in the past year or so that she's really started to get out, make friends, and have some experiences outside of her parents and siblings.

She's had alcohol before in very small amounts, but has never been drunk or close to it. She's said that her reasons, so far, for not drinking are primarily 1) she's never been much of a partier, and 2) she's worried about how it will affect her insulin/diabetes.

My question:

So, obviously, I'm having a lot of fun introducing my lady to new experiences. Mostly this pertains to social gatherings, concerts, bars, etc. But alcohol has come up as one thing on that list that should also be broached at some point.

I'm not really looking to "get her drunk" (okay, maybe just a little). But it's bound to come up at some point.

Is there anything we/she needs to know, about getting drunk and what affect that might have on her diabetes?

I assume having a glass of wine or two won't cause any problems, but I'm really in the dark here. What if we start doing jello shots at a club? I don't want to get into any situation that might be medically dangerous.