Ugh. Yesterday we were celebrating two things back to back, involving restaurant meals for both lunch and dinner. I spent a long time looking up the carb counts for the items I knew my T1 kid would eat, and we did the insulin units to correct for it. Just to be sure, we checked sugars an hour later. We were shocked at how high the BG was between the two meals. Corrected for it for dinner, and it spiked even higher after.
It then dawned on me that the diet soda she had at both meals (and the servers kept refilling) was most likely NOT diet soda. Maybe this is a newbie mistake, but I never thought to question what she was being given. I'm sure it happens a lot, but I felt pretty stupid and responsible later on.
So I found out you can use the BG meter to check if a diet soda is really a diet soda. I thought I'd share in case this might also be new info for someone. I never thought to check, but it might be useful to know.
Social Plugin