I found out I’m Pre-diabetic last week, and I just need some guidance.

I’m 25, female, 207lb, and found out I’m pre-diabetic last week. My A1C is 6.2. I’m African American, and diabetes runs in my family, so none of this is particularly shocking, especially since for the last 8 months, I’ve been eating nothing but garbage. I’ll be speaking to a nutritionist and my GP tomorrow to get a prescription for metformin and help for what I should and shouldn’t be eating, but I already started making efforts to clean up my diet by eating more vegetables and cutting out carbs and sugars.

However, I did drink sweet milk tea and Boba on Friday, followed by mashed potatoes on Saturday. So as a person who is pre-diabetic, I need to know if these little slips will make a huge impact in a short amount of time? How much wiggle room is there for me to mess up, if any?

I have every intention of exercising, losing weight, and eating healthier in order to get my a1c numbers under control. But once I get back to a normal level, will I still be more at risk than the average person?

I will never ever go back to my horrible daily eating habits, but say if I want to occasionally binge on a pizza, or eat a a thing of cookie dough and ice cream, will that futz with my insulin levels more than it would the average person once I reverse this?

I guess, bottom line, and the cause of my anxiety: Will this follow me for the rest of my life, even with healthy eating practices? Have I fucked up my body permanently?