Hey there!
Today I received a message claiming that some special kind of diet is able to heal most autoimmune diseases. The chat can be seen below.
As we all know, curing T1D is impossible as of now, and certainly a simple diet wont do anything. Of course, as I am a huge science nerd, I wrote a detailed response explaining him the problem:
Hello!
Unless you are suggesting some kind of gene therapy, I'm gonna call that claim fairly farfetched. In case you don't know, the body attacks and kills the beta cells in the langerhans islands in the pancreas. Those beta cells are the ones responsible for producing insulin. And frankly, I don't see how a diet can bring back cells that are all dead (because the immune system wiped them out), and would die off instantly if grown in a petri dish and implanted into the body (as there are still antibodies against those cells present in the blood, it will again trigger the immune system to kill the cells with those specific MHC markers). If you can provide me some studies that prove the effectiveness of your diet, then I'll happily join, but as long as there is no scientific evidence for your claim, I'm gonna straight up call that pseudoscience.
Also, type 1 diabetes is not a matter of diet. There is a genetic component to it, as type 1 diabetics are more likely to have children with type 1 diabetes, but also an environmental factor. The body needs to come in contact with some antigene that will trigger this immune response. However, this antigene could be anything, and trying to eliminate exposure to all antigenes is impossible. If you want to, I can provide you with numerous studies proving my statements from above.
I just wanted to know if anyone of you received any similar message whatsoever. Also I really do hope that this is not only a bot.
Edit: The account in question posted in some sports bet subreddits some months or years ago, always with the same link at the bottom, so it likely is only a cog in a giant machine. But still, I like going full science nerd on what could be a real person, and I will do that, even if its a bot account, as some person needs to sort those responses.
Social Plugin