Recently diagnosed and struggling to change my lifestyle. Adulting is hard but adulting with diabetes is harderer.

24m here, pretty much every older person in my family has type 2. Last year got the typical symptoms of rapid weight loss, weakness, low appetite, peeing a lot, thirst and hair loss. Blood test showed 25.4mmol/l (oof). Doc gave me metformin and a few other drugs and told me to come back later. Told me i was type 2 but couldn't confirm because of my age. I was in denial so didn't take care of myself but also was too busy with my job so my health was terrible.

Come august of 2020 and I got laid off and moved back with my parents. Went for a checkup and my a1c was at 13.5, At home my fasting sugar was 10 and 2 hours after eating would max out the meter. (yikes). Doc prescribed humalog twice a day and the typical excercise and diet changes. I'm actually making decent progress now: fasting is usually 6-7 and I feel soooo much better physically and mentally.

But I'm really worried now. All that progress was possible only because I had the time to exercise and parents would take the effort to cook healthy meals. My new job starts soon and that's going to seriously affect my control. For reference: its a desk job and if its anything similar to my previous one then its long hours of sitting, inconsistent hours and somehow boring and stressful at the same time. So my questions are:

  1. How to I eat healthy without without going broke? Fresh produce is more expensive than junk food and goes bad real fast. I may not have time to cook decent meals every single day or go shopping frequently. Only things with a long shelf life are carbs.
  2. When do I exercise? I don't like gyms and prefer jogging and cycling but honestly don't have the time nor the energy after a long days work. I really want to put health first and money second but it simply isn't practical. I'm as lazy as it gets but somehow managed to get my butt off the couch but with a 9-6 job not including commutes i don't know if i can maintain it.
  3. Related to the above: Life is more than just surviving. With adulting and sleep taking up most of the day, even if i somehow manage to cram exercise and healthy cooking into the mix there simply isn't time to do things i enjoy. That is Impossible to maintain long term and will certainly take a toll on my mental health which then will snowball into bad overall health.
  4. I was always sedentary and very weak for my size but damn did diabetes take a toll on my muscles. Any recommendations to regain strength? preferably things i can do at home without equipment.
  5. I want to get off insulin if possible. I absolutely hate needles and my heart races every time I take out the pen. Its only a short moment but it does hurt. Any advice for reducing the pain? I've tried many techniques but nerves are nerves and it still hurts every time.
  6. How much is too much when it comes to cheating on my diet? I LOVE food: pizza, tacos, burgers, icecream and literally everything thats a cardinal diabetic sin. Luckily my lost appetite stayed lost or I could've eaten a whole pie by myself. Is cheating twice a week dangerous?

So yeah, How guys how?