When did you know? How did you know?

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16. I had side effects of the condition as young as 8, and all doctors ignored me. I know PCOS significantly increases risk of type 2 diabetes. I also have a familial history of diabetes on my father’s side. Lastly, my family raised me with awful eating habits.

I’ve always thought that I was anemic, since I got lightheaded moving around, winded easily, and was lethargic. I’ve started noticing my feet having worse circulation than usual and sugar makes me nauseous.

How did you know/find out that you were a diabetic? What tests are there? What were the signs? I work to prevent it but I’m concerned and I want to have the treatment options that I need if I need them.

EDIT: I am not asking for any strong medical advice, merely your personal experiences. I’m sorry if this is offensive to anyone, and I hope that this is an okay post to make