So, for some backstory, I am a 28 year old guy. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few months after turning 26. At the time, I was 360 lbs; I'm also 6'5, but was still very overweight... As of Tuesday, I weighed in at 231 lbs, but mostly all of the weightloss came from being sick. My A1C was 10.6 and glucose was 520.
I've bounced around from doctor to doctor, being put on all varieties of oral & injectable meds (janumet, invokana, metformin, farxiga, tresiba, trulicity) and nothing helped; in fact, most made me very sick.
Tuesday, I had an appointment with a new endocrinologist who ran a bunch of bloodwork. I received a call yesterday for my results and, as suspected by my new doctor, I was ACTUALLY a Type 1 diabetic... I was stunned... She had a hunch bc I wasn't responding to the meds and was still very sick despite diet, running 4 days a week, etc.
Since Tuesday, she put me on a sliding scale with insulin and my numbers have been slowly coming down, I even had a 136 and a 199 yesterday! I literally don't remember when I was ever in the 100s.
It's been a huge relief, like a burden lifted. I felt hopeless, like I've tried a spectrum of meds that didn't help. I mean, for the situation I was in, being extremely overweight with a terrible diet, it screamed type 2 diabetes, so I can't be mad at the other doctors, just extremely grateful to my new doctor for running the antibody bloodwork for a type 1 diagnosis.
I just wanted to share my story so that if there is anyone else newly diagnosed and feels like nothing's working, to keep searching for answers! Good luck, everybody!
Social Plugin