I recently started to take my Diabetes management a lot more serious. I was diagnosed at age 5 (22 now) and have gone through burnout several times across the years ( middle school, angsty teenage years, moving to college). my goals for a career are in diabetes education because while I was growing up I hated having providers that didn't have diabetes telling me about the disease I will have for the rest of my life. they may have studied endocrinology and have a Ph.D. but they have never had a BG of 400, ketones or woken up in a low stupor and rush to the fridge for OJ. I never want a diabetic to be able to feel that way. so it recently hit me that if I'm going to be educating people about how to take care of their diabetes I need to be on top of mine.
I've been focusing more on adhering to my plan. like pre-bolusing, checking my BG once I wake up/go to sleep, before eating, counting my carbs accurately, eating less sugary/ high Glycemic index food. I recently got a Dexcom G5 sensor and it has made things a lot easier. There is so much more information available rather than the 3-5 checks I would do a day. also, temp basals are your friend. Temp up for stubborn highs or temp down for exercise. (honestly the key to diabetes success) I didn't realize that a lot of the reasons my BG is out of control is because of me. sure there are times when your BG is unexplainable, stress, bad carb counts, exercise... but for the most part, i can counteract those things.
I just got my A1c down to 7.7 as of June 1st so I'm pretty excited. I don't think I've been below 8 since I was a pre-teen. my goal is to have my A1c at 6.9 by late August when I go back to my Endo.
Wish me luck : )
Social Plugin