As the title suggests, my partner has diabetes but hasn't gotten insulin yet. This isn't him being macho thinking he doesn't need it - the NHS who supplies it for free here in Scotland won't give it to him until he has an appointment with ketonosis or gets sent in for ketonosis. He was diagnosed years ago, but it hasn't affected him until recently.
Thing is, no matter how much we harass, they haven't given us a date. Our local surgery asked them three months ago, but still nothing.
My partner has type 1.5, and has an average blood glucose level of around 13.5, and no amount of water seams to lower that particularly. He pees a lot, and thankfully has no ketones.
We've been cutting back on sweet stuff recently as I've been realising how it's affecting him more and more, he's becoming more tired every day, and it's interrupting his work and studies. He has exams he might not complete because he's finding it so hard to focus on his books.
He's an ex doctor himself, so he won't accept any suggestion of buying insulin, because of incompetent drivers and poor storage, etc.
What can I do? Are there any particular foods or diets which can help get the glucose into his cells? Therapies I can try? Anything, if it can help him until we can get him insulin.
And is there anything I should know, as the partner of someone with diabetes?
Social Plugin