I'm a type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed fairly recently (10/2016 at the age of 17) and I'm still struggling to come to terms with this new reality. I had an entire childhood of good health and being able to eat what I want without dosing, and then suddenly I'm thrown into a whole new world I'd never really understood. I have regular therapy meetings and a good support system with my friends and family, but I still feel so isolated. My friends don't really understand, and I used to get some nasty attitudes when I was unable to attend an event or had to leave school early because I was having a sick day, along with some pretty unkind jokes (thank god I graduated lol). It doesn't help that I'm overweight (not morbidly obese, but y'know) and that tends to get me a lot of shit from complete strangers. People blame my diagnosis on me and my parents and say that I should just eat better and then I'll lose weight and it'll go away. I know they're wrong and that I'm actually a healthy diabetic (my last A1C was fantastic) but their judgement still hurts. How do you all deal with the daily stigma and lack of understanding/compassion?
Social Plugin