I'm writing a book that includes a child with diabetes. I would really appreciate any help I could get to better understand diabetes and maybe have some questions answered.

As the title says I'm writing a book that includes a four-year-old boy with diabetes. Most of the story that will include this child will be a survival situation where a family will be traveling on foot and camping in the woods over a period of 1-3 weeks. I would really appreciate any answers I could get to the following questions:

  • What physical items would the family need to keep on hand?

  • What treatments would be required and how often?

  • I understand diet control is very important. What specifically is important such as carb counting/sugar intake? Also, what kind of foods would be important to eat or avoid?

  • What are common symptoms? How might this survival situation affect those?

  • What would be a good example of a high pressure emergency situation? What might cause this? What would need to be done to remedy it?

  • In what ways would this child be limited in this experience such as physical endurance?

Note: I know I can get answers to some of these questions by googling and I am also doing that. I just wanted some first hand accounts if possible.

Thanks for the help!