I was diagnosed with an A1C of 10.9 and a fasting blood glucose of 296 at the end of November 2015. I hadn't been to the doctor in years and had been experiencing symptoms (in hindsight) for at least a year if not longer.
I quickly read a lot and within a week or two had decided that low carb and frequent testing to inform my diet was the route I wanted to take.
It has worked for me. I feel better than I have in years. The numbness in my feet seems to be less than it was at diagnosis. My A1C's have continually improved.
Yet, my low blood glucose readings have risen while my A1C has fallen.
In the first six months post-diagnosis, I would occasionally see fasting levels in the 80's but mostly in the 90's. I struggled with dawn phenomenon, but discovered an almond snack before bed helped. I aimed for a post-meal high of 140 but would sometimes hit 150 or 155.
As time went on, I got better at that post-meal high. Now, I rarely go above 135. However, my fasting numbers have also crept up. Now, it averages in the low 100's. 90's are rare. I haven't seen 80's in a long time.
My range has narrowed considerably. Within a short time afte diagnosis it was 80's to the occasional 150's. Now it's 100's to 130's.
Yet, my A1C has continued to drop. My doc now feels I only need to come in annually, unless my glucose testing shows otherwise. 10.9 at diagnosis. 5.6 four months later. Five months later 5.4. Nine months later 5.2.
So, I've gone from fasting levels to be proud of to ones that stubbornly stay at concerning while at the same time reducing A1C from pre-diabetic to normal levels.
I'm confused. I know my most recent A1C of 5.2 is good, but I'm concerned that my fasting level is almost never below 100. I know that A1C is because I control my diet to not allow my blood glucose to go very high.
But, it still bothers me that my lows are much higher than I saw a year ago.
I'm curious what others experience?
Social Plugin