Introducing yourself to diabuddies in public

At school or at work I have always made sure if I find someone who is a diabetic to say hello and try and start up a conversation about diabetes. When I see people out in public sporting their gear I always get nervous to say anything unless there was another reason to talk to them (like if they're my cashier or if they are standing directly next to me in a long line).

Last night my husband and I were out gambling and there was a older woman at our table. Her husband brought up twice that she had just gotten out of the hospital for diabetus complications. My husband said "hey are you going to say something?" I told him no. Later he wanted to know why and I guess it came down to it was too depressing for me to talk to this woman who was possibly my future. It was the first time I had seen someone with complications that otherwise would've been healthy and it definitely took me off guard. I feel bad now because she probably could've used a friend to not feel so alone.

Do you guys say hello to fellow diabetics when you see them? Why or why not? And if yes do you have situations you'd rather not talk to a stranger about?