Hello all, I've been lurking this subreddit for a bit and thought I'd introduce myself, ask for any suggestions and tell you my journey so far (so its a bit long). It all started for me back in 2014. I had not been feeling quite like myself for a while and lost my primary when he went out of my employers network. After some hee-hawing around trying to find a new one I was able to get an appointment but it was in mid-Oct. and that was months away. Gradually I felt more and more "off", drinking constantly and peeing even more, lack of energy, forgetting my glasses but hey I see alright." I should of seen all these signs, by the way I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm a RN of over 15 years. What brought me to our hospitals ER was the fact that I had went month feeling like this and at the beginning of Oct. was doing a 12 hour shift and I felt like I had been drinking alcohol half the day. So I ended up going to the ER and my glucose was 548 with an A1C of 12 even. I'm 5'6" and was 135 lbs at that time. They gave me some insulin and a couple liters of fluids because they said I was severely dehydrated and then told me, "oh your type 2." I got a script for Metformin and was sent on my way and told to follow up with my new MD in a week. I was followed by her and did initially respond to the metformin, then had to increase the dose and even with excessive carb restriction was starting to get crazy highs with anything like a slice of wheat bread. Fast forward to the beginning of this month and I've went to my previous 135 lbs to 110 lbs soaking wet. Felt tired all the freaking time and she told me in the office, "I don't know what to do with you, I'm used to yelling at fat people to lose weight." She referred me to an Endo then and I was fortunate enough that they had an opening that very day. They took one look at me there and said your probably not type 2 and ordered a bunch of blood work. My c-peptide came back low at 0.6 and after almost a week my GAD antibodies came back positive. So right now I'm on Lantus one dose at night and a Novolog dose calculated by premeal glucose levels. The Endo told me that I need to gain weight and told me to eat 60-75 grams of carbs per meal. I still have mid 200's 2 hours after meals so I feel like there is a lot of tweaking that needs to be done still. I see them again in 2 weeks and am suppose to send my logs to them every week. So there you have it, that's where I'm at now, lord only knows how bad I've trashed my body to get to this point but at least I'm with a specialist now. I've been highly interested in the CGM's mentioned on this sub (never knew these existed, seen plenty of pumps though) and wonder if eventually when I do have some fat on me if it would be ideal to get one while trying to find what regime I need. Basically waiting for the ol' pancreas to crap out on me now.
Social Plugin