How to talk to a young man about his condition?

Hey guys, I'm a type 1 diabetic male and today I got asked by an acquaintance if I could spend some time with her diabetic 13 year old son this weekend. I said yes immediately, without really thinking about how I'm going to relate to him.

A little about him: He's been a type 1 since he was a toddler, he got on a pump at age 5 or so and as far as I know, he and his family have always had one issue or another with his condition. I've been told that he has recently been feeling depressed and hopeless about his diabetes and it's affecting his school and his relationships.

Now, as someone who was diagnosed at 21 and who has okay control over their diabetes, I'm still left wondering what I can actually say to give him hope and a positive outlook for the future.

I'm very much a realist and I don't shy away from hard truths, but I'd really like some tips about what sort of things I could address or discuss with him?

I guess I'm looking for ways to bridge the gap between an injecting, late diagnosis diabetic adult and a pump-using, early diagnosis teenager.

Thanks in advance everyone!