I'm 22 weeks pregnant with pre-existing Type 2 that I've been managing for several years with diet and exercise alone. My A1C at 7 weeks was 4.8 and my entire medical team has been supportive of my very low carb diet because it's clearly working for me.
I have noticed for the last week or so that my BG has been steadily creeping up, still within normal range (<85 fasting, <140 at 1 hour, <120 at 2 hours), but I'm so tired of the effort it takes to keep my BG under control. I'm not even having any weird pregnancy cravings and my appetite is the same, but my doctors told me from the start to expect my BG to become more challenging to control on my own as the pregnancy progresses, and I'm tempted to say screw it and go on insulin. I'm not afraid of needles, and the dose would be small so I think the risk of hypoglycemia is also pretty minimal, but realistically I'd only be going on it out of laziness and wanting to eat normal food again. Am I being an idiot? Assuming that it works for me, are there downsides to insulin over diet that I'm not considering? I have an appointment with my MFM (maternal-fetal medicine specialist) next week so I'm evaluating my options.
Social Plugin