This weekend I climbed a mountain for the first time since my T1D diagnosis. I was terrified. It was amazing.

It's been 2 years since I was diagnosed with T1D, and I've always felt constrained by the insulin therapy. Can't go too far, be alone for too long, for fear of going too low. Exercise in particular has been difficult, as my beloved distance running causes my sugar to nosedive. Hiking and trail running were my favorites, but they're too dangerous-- what if something goes wrong, and I can't get help?

This weekend I said "fuck that." My friends wanted to climb a mountain, and dammit I wanted to join.

Leading up, I was nervous as hell, but I prepared. Adjusted my basal the night before, abstained from bolus day-of, and stuffed my backpack with a ludicrous amount of juice, gummy bears, and glucagon. Over 4 hours and 3,200 ft of elevation, I stayed in range 100% of the time.

The sense of freedom and accomplishment I feel is incredible. It wasn't a superhuman feat, but to me it felt like a turning point.

I want all of you to know that you are NOT limited by a disease. You may need to think ahead, to plan and prepare, but you can do whatever you want..