Hey all, my partner finally got his insulin, but we have more questions.

Edit: My partner takes metformin, beta blockers, and thyroxin as well as insulin, and we live in the UK.

Hey everyone, I made a post recently asking what I can do for my partner until we get him some insulin. Finally, we've managed to get him insulin, but he's feeling a bit crap again.

He's on 22 units of basal lantus right now, and 10:1 ratio for novarapid with meals. He's been testing bloods daily (when he wakes up, before each meal, two hours after each, and before bed) and his blood glucose doesn't seem to go down to his target range very often. His BG seems to hover mostly at 10 - 14, especially after meals.

He says he's feeling tired and disconnected after any meals a lot, and he's also feeling slightly depressed. He wasn't feeling like this before his insulin. Is this normal, is he just getting used to the insulin? Or is it something else?

Is there anything I can do to help him until he gets used to it? Would cutting down on carbs help lower blood sugar, or is his dosage just not correct yet?

Also, he sometimes has really sweet breath even if he doesn't eat anything sweet. I know this indicates ketones, so I urge him to test whenever I smell this, but his meter reads quite low usually, and he says if it's 0.6 or above, that's when it's dangerous. Like this morning, I stepped into our office and the whole room smelt like apricots and apple sauce, but all we had eaten is cereal that morning. When I realised his breath was sweet I got him to test and the result was 0.2. What does sweet smelling breath mean if it isn't ketones, or does even a small amount of ketones make that smell?

Any advice and information would be really helpful, thank you everyone!